Community Engagement Manager
The Sarcoma Foundation of America (SFA) is the leading organization and the largest funder of private research in the sarcoma community and an organization dedicated to raising sarcoma awareness. SFA advocates for increased research to find new and better therapies with which to treat patients and the organization raises money to privately fund grants for sarcoma research and education and advocacy efforts on behalf of sarcoma patients and the entire sarcoma community. Since its inception in 2000, the Sarcoma Foundation of America has invested over $13 million in research; including over 200 sarcoma research grants, eight American Society of Clinical Oncologists (ASCO) Young Investigator Awards, two Advanced Clinical Research Awards (ASCO) Conquer Cancer Foundation Awards, and two ASCO Conquer Cancer Foundation Career Development Awards. We have also provided direct funding to sarcoma center programs across the country and internationally.
The Community Engagement Manager assists with SFA’s Race to Cure Sarcoma (RTCS) event series and executes it locally and/or virtually. This position serves as a liaison with many of the organization’s volunteers, vendors and related stakeholders. This is a unique opportunity to advance existing RTCS events and design new ways to engage the sarcoma community to help bring greater awareness for sarcoma and increase funding support for sarcoma research, advocacy and education. This position will also manage third party events and help to design new ones.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Serve as lead contact for portfolio of third-party fundraisers and events.
- Manage logistics and work with volunteers to execute SFA’s RTCS events
- Assist P2P fundraisers with fundraising page set-up and earned incentive ordering process.
- Work with the SFA team to develop new ways to engage the sarcoma community and manage engagement activities
- Assist with marketing plan (including social media, email marketing, research projects) that promotes engagement with and brings together members of the sarcoma community
- Manage the development of event materials required for the implementation of successful events
- Contribute to processes needed to support volunteers and donors for current and future engagement activities
- Work with partners to execute profitable, engaging fundraising events at pilot & existing sites
- Support local site volunteers as needed
- Assist in developing a DIY online focused event model
- 3-5 years of Nonprofit Fundraising Experience, Event Management, or Engagement Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree Required in Communications; Public Administration; Business; Public Health or related field
- Strong project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects at a time
- Enjoys working with people and is an effective leader of volunteers with the ability to handle conflict and resolve issues with volunteers
- Past experience with P2P fundraising and events preferred
- Superb organization and planning
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Self-starter and entrepreneurial spirit
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision, good time management skills
- Passionate about finding a cure for sarcoma preferred
- Strong computer skills
- Comfortable in navigating a changing environment and competing demands
- Ability to travel as required for events and related meetings
- Flexibility to work nights and weekends (as needed) for preparation and execution of events.
This position is exempt/full time and is located at our national office in Montgomery County, Maryland, outside of Washington, DC. The staff is currently teleworking due to COVID-19. A hybrid of teleworking and in office days will continue when the SFA office opens.
Please email your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com with the subject line, “Community Engagement Manager.” No phone calls please. EOE.