Manager, Engagement and Advocacy
The Manager of Engagement and Advocacy will support the Sarcoma Foundation of America’s (SFA) sarcoma community engagement and advocacy strategies and initiatives. This position works with the CEO, Director of Scientific Affairs and external stakeholders to develop patient education initiatives and engagement activities for the sarcoma community and creates outreach strategies necessary to engage the community. The Manager of Engagement and Advocacy also interacts with industry partners on scientific research collaborations and initiatives, manages the Patient/Advocate Advisory Council, acts as a liaison for SFA with congressional members and staff, administration officials, and counterparts from other cancer and rare disease advocacy organizations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Manager, Engagement and Advocacy will be responsible for the following:
- Identify key patient engagement and patient advocacy needs and priorities among the sarcoma community. and develop and execute strategies and programs to meet these needs.
- Recognize key opportunities (in research, policy, and outreach) for patient representation and work to generate appropriate representation.
- Further SFA’s patient advocacy relations, including support and collaborations in education and research (clinical trials or other participation).
- Create and implement a strategy to educate advocates about important sarcoma science and research. Develop and execute education initiatives.
- Create greater understanding of SFA programs and mission with the sarcoma patient community.
- Identify content that may be relevant to health policy, advocacy, and science education; collaborate on writing and distributing this information through communication channels to educate and engage the sarcoma community.
- Work with SFA team to build ongoing and consistent advocacy engagement and education efforts into the organization’s overarching editorial calendar and communication strategies.
- Conceive and implement outreach strategies for SFA’s engagement and advocacy initiatives.
- Engage SFA constituents in policy efforts, providing them with the information needed to support the policy activities of the SFA and the broader sarcoma community.
- Track legislative and other policy initiatives and strategies regarding specific issues of interest to the SFA.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
The Manager of Engagement and Advocacy shall possess:
- At least seven years of experience in engagement and advocacy preferably in a nonprofit/patient advocacy environment, ideally related to cancer/health issues.
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working on patient education and outreach within a cancer/health focused organization.
- Experience engaging patients and advocates in organization priorities.
- Ability to interact, negotiate, and work on complex initiatives with key stakeholders, including senior leadership, Board members, prominent scientists, Administration and Congressional officials, corporate executives, and patient advocates.
- Ability to mobilize a grassroots base around policy priorities.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills, the ability to speak and write persuasively and with clarity.
- Resourcefulness and creativity, strong attention to detail, a proven track record of being able to work under quick deadlines.
- Good organization, prioritization, and time management skills.
- Ability to operate effectively in a team-oriented, highly demanding and fluid organizational environment.
The staff is currently teleworking due to the COVID-19. A hybrid of teleworking and in office days will continue when the SFA office opens.
Please email your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Manager, Engagement and Advocacy.” No phone calls please. EOE.