Sr. Manager, Community Engagement and Education
The Sarcoma Foundation of America (SFA) is the largest funder of private research in the sarcoma community and an organization dedicated to raising sarcoma awareness. SFA advocates for increased research to find new and better therapies with which to treat patients and the organization raises money to privately fund grants for sarcoma research and education and advocacy efforts on behalf of the entire sarcoma community.
SFA seeks a mission-driven, collaborative and creative professional to join our team of dedicated staff working to advance our mission and improve the quality of life of those who are affected by sarcoma.
The Sr. Manager of Community Engagement and Education is responsible for assisting with developing a strategy to engage the nationwide sarcoma network, manage SFA’s network of sarcoma ambassadors, and manage SFA’s Patient Advisory Council. This position will drive, build and enhance strategic alliances with key national and international sarcoma organizations, sarcoma physicians, cancer centers, and other relevant stakeholders in response to sarcoma research and patient needs. The Sr. Manager, Community Engagement and Education also interacts with industry partners on scientific research collaborations and initiatives and identifies and cultivates alliances and partnership opportunities with a focus on improving patients’ access to potentially life transforming therapies, and advancing SFA’s research, awareness and education priorities.
The Sr. Manager, Community Engagement and Education will be responsible for the following:
- Identify key patient engagement and patient advocacy needs and priorities among the sarcoma community and develop and execute strategies and programs to meet these needs.
- Recognize key opportunities (in research, policy, and outreach) for patient representation and work to generate appropriate representation.
- Further SFA’s patient advocacy relations, including support and collaborations in education and research (clinical trials or other participation).
- Create and implement a strategy to educate advocates about important sarcoma science and research. Develop and execute education initiatives.
- Create greater understanding of SFA programs and mission within the sarcoma patient community.
- Identify content that may be relevant to health policy, advocacy, and science education; collaborate on writing and distributing this information through communication channels to educate and engage the sarcoma community.
- Work with SFA team to build ongoing and consistent advocacy engagement and education efforts into the organization’s overarching editorial calendar and communication strategies.
- Conceive and implement outreach strategies for SFA’s engagement and advocacy initiatives.
- Engage SFA constituents in policy efforts, providing them with the information needed to support the policy activities of the SFA and the broader sarcoma community.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
The Sr. Manager of Community Engagement and Education shall possess:
- At least seven years of experience in patient advocacy, engagement or education preferably in a patient advocacy environment, ideally related to cancer/health issues.
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working on patient education and outreach within a cancer/health focused organization.
- Experience engaging patients and advocates in organization priorities.
- Ability to interact, negotiate, and work on complex initiatives with key stakeholders, including senior leadership, Board members, prominent scientists, corporate executives, and patient advocates.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills, the ability to speak and write persuasively and with clarity.
- Resourcefulness and creativity, strong attention to detail, a proven track record of being able to work under quick deadlines.
- Good organization, prioritization, and time management skills.
- Ability to operate effectively in a team-oriented, highly demanding and fluid organizational environment.
The staff is currently teleworking due to COVID-19. A hybrid of teleworking and in office days will continue when the SFA office opens. We will consider fully remote for the right candidate.
Please email your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Sr. Manager, Community Engagement and Education”. EOE.