Director of Development
The Sarcoma Foundation of America (SFA) is the leading organization and the largest funder of private research in the sarcoma community and an organization dedicated to raising sarcoma awareness. SFA advocates for increased research to find new and better therapies with which to treat patients and the organization raises money to privately fund grants for sarcoma research and education and advocacy efforts on behalf of the sarcoma community.
The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of SFA’s fundraising including, the major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, and special events. The Director works closely with the CEO and the Board of Directors in all development and fund-raising endeavors. The Director of Development is a hands-on senior leader who will develop and carry out a robust development plan that includes revenue from a diverse mix of individual, corporate, foundation and event sources. This position requires senior level experience in comprehensive fundraising strategies for a nonprofit organization.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Design and implement a robust development strategy that maintains and broadens the organization’s financial support from fundraising events, individuals, foundations and corporations, by nurturing existing relationships and cultivating new ones to achieve SFA’s strategic goals.
- Assume a leadership role in the identification, cultivation and solicitation of new major gifts, personally cultivating and soliciting donors as appropriate.
- Cultivate, expand, and communicate with the Board of Directors, in partnership with the CEO, to further engage their support of SFA’s mission.
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors.
- Lead an integrated strategic communications plan to advance SFA’s mission, and broaden awareness of its research, programs and priorities across key stakeholder audiences and deepen engagement with the organization’s supporters.
- Work with SFA staff to identify internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and to define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
The successful candidate will be a dynamic fundraiser with a creative and accomplished track record of 10+ years of progressive experience leading effective, development programs encompassing the full range of development strategies while integrating communications tactics. Other requirements include:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred
- Commitment to the mission and core values of SFA
- Strategic understanding and experience with various fundraising activities including: major gifts, special events, corporate partnerships and strategic alliances, annual fund, direct mail and volunteer management
- A personal record of success in gamering individual major gifts
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability
- Superb written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical skills based on intellectual depth with the ability to regularly exercise good judgement
- Travel required
Please email your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com with the subject line Director of Development. No phone calls please. EOE.
This position is exempt/full time and is located at our national office in Montgomery County, Maryland, outside of Washington, D.C. The staff is currently teleworking due to the COVID-19 pandemic. A hybrid of teleworking and in office days will continue when the SFA office opens. This is not a fully remote position.