– John H. Healey, MD, and Advaxis Immunotherapies among the honorees at the “Celebration of Life”-
DAMASCUS, Md. – April 14, 2016 – The Sarcoma Foundation of America (SFA) today announced that the 14th Annual SFA New York fundraising gala, “A Celebration of Life,” will take place on May 12, 2016, at Guastavino’s, 409 E 59th Street, New York, NY. The New York event raises money to fund innovative sarcoma research that will lead to the development of new and better therapies for sarcoma patients.
“A Celebration of Life” will honor those who have battled sarcoma, as well as those who have dedicated their lives and careers to the treatment of sarcoma patients.
- John H. Healey, MD, FACS, Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, will receive the 2016 Nobility in Science Award for his dedication to the research and science toward finding the cure for sarcoma.
- Advaxis Immunotherapies will receive the 2016 Vision of Hope Award for their work to advance an immunotherapy platform to fight osteosarcoma in pediatric patients.
- Jody Pollack Roth, RN, MPH, OCN, will receive the 2016 Compassionate Care Award for her more than 23 years of dedicated service to Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center’s surgical oncology program.
- Five Sarcoma Survivors will receive the 2016 Courage Awards to honor the strength and perseverance they demonstrated in their battle with sarcoma. Awards will be presented to Nathan Greenberg, Bonnie Newman-Myers, Dennis Wai, Mike Westhoff, and Jonathan K. Yip.
“The SFA is honored to acknowledge the determination and accomplishments of all of the awardees,” said SFA Chief Executive Officer Bert E. Thomas IV, PhD. “Dr. Healey is a world-renown sarcoma surgeon whose impact cannot be overemphasized, while Advaxis Immunotherapies is a trailblazer working to bring cutting-edge immunotherapy to the osteosarcoma community. Judy Pollack Roth has provided exemplary care to sarcoma patients and all of our patient awardees have demonstrated amazing fortitude and perseverance in their sarcoma journeys. Each of these award winners epitomize why we fight for the cure and why we must never stop.”
Further information about the Sarcoma Foundation of America and the 2016 NYC Fundraiser, “A Celebration of Life,” can be found at https://www.curesarcoma.org/nyccelebration/.
About the Sarcoma Foundation of America
The Sarcoma Foundation of America (SFA), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization, is an advocate for increased research to find new and better therapies with which to treat patients with sarcoma. The organization raises money to privately fund grants for sarcoma researchers and conducts education and advocacy efforts on behalf of sarcoma patients. For more information, please visit www.curesarcoma.org.
Contact: Lori Hoffman